Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus -Blueprint Money Mastery
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|Los Angeles public school board votes to ban student cellphone use on campus
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:11:37
The Los Angeles Unified School District Board of Education voted Tuesday to ban student cellphone usage on campuses during school hours, joining a growing number of school boards to take such action and becoming the largest district in the U.S. to do so.
The ban's purpose is to prevent the potentially negative impact that phones have on the mental health and well-being of students.
The vote, however, doesn't automatically mean the ban will be implemented as staff is still consulting with stakeholders and experts before specifics are set in stone.
"The phone-free school policy says from the moment students walk into class to the end of the day, they shouldn't have their phones," said LAUSD board member Nick Melvoin. "Let's have kids interact with one another, free from the distractions that we know are harming mental health, their academics."
The resolution by the board of the second largest school district in the U.S. cites research suggesting that students have less meaningful interactions with classmates and exhibit less propensity for learning when overly involved with their phones.
"Research indicates that excessive cell phone use impacts adolescents mental health and well-being and is associated with increased stress, anxiety, depression, sleep issues, feelings of aggression, and suicidal thoughts," said the Order of Business for Tuesday's meeting.
The proposal referenced other bans that have been implemented, including in Florida, where public schools began blocking student cellphone use during instructional time and prohibited access to social media while using district WiFi in 2023. Since then, districts in Oklahoma, Kansas, Vermont, Ohio, Louisiana and Pennsylvania have adopted similar restrictions, according to the LAUSD resolution.
Over the next four months, the district will develop a set of policies for social media and cell phone use during school hours on every LAUSD campus. The new policy would go into effect at the beginning of 2025.
Some parents have voiced opposition to a ban, noting that they would prefer their children to have access to their phones in the event of an emergency.
"They should have it for protection once they leave the school campus," said Regina Schoetz, an LAUSD parent who said she partially agrees with the motion, but doesn't think that the ultimate decision should fall on the district.
"I don't think there should be a big ban on [cellphones] or lock them away," she said. "I think it's up to the parent."
Melvoin says that the latest policy update to cellphone usage was implemented in 2011 and only calls for no phones during class time.
On Tuesday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom announced his own plans on the topic, citing the mental health risks of social media on children.
"As the Surgeon General affirmed, social media is harming the mental health of our youth," Newsom said in a statement. "I look forward to working with the Legislature to restrict the use of smartphones during the school day. When children and teens are in school, they should be focused on their studies — not their screens."
veryGood! (19)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- How One Native American Tribe is Battling for Control Over Flaring
- A magazine touted Michael Schumacher's first interview in years. It was actually AI
- How Princess Diana's Fashion Has Stood the Test of Time
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Warming Trends: How Hairdressers Are Mobilizing to Counter Climate Change, Plus Polar Bears in Greenland and the ‘Sounds of the Ocean’
- Hurricane Michael Hit the Florida Panhandle in 2018 With 155 MPH Winds. Some Black and Low-Income Neighborhoods Still Haven’t Recovered
- Supreme Court looks at whether Medicare and Medicaid were overbilled under fraud law
- What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
- Coal Mining Emits More Super-Polluting Methane Than Venting and Flaring From Gas and Oil Wells, a New Study Finds
Ranking
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- The 'Champagne of Beers' gets crushed in Belgium
- 10 Trendy Amazon Jewelry Finds You'll Want to Wear All the Time
- Warmer Nights Caused by Climate Change Take a Toll on Sleep
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- North Carolina’s Bet on Biomass Energy Is Faltering, With Energy Targets Unmet and Concerns About Environmental Justice
- In South Asia, Vehicle Exhaust, Agricultural Burning and In-Home Cooking Produce Some of the Most Toxic Air in the World
- Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, claiming 'government retaliation'
Recommendation
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Tucker Carlson ousted at Fox News following network's $787 million settlement
Jake Bongiovi Bonds With Fiancée Millie Bobby Brown's Family During NYC Outing
BuzzFeed shutters its newsroom as the company undergoes layoffs
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Tucker Carlson ousted at Fox News following network's $787 million settlement
California becomes the first state to adopt emission rules for trains
Roy Wood Jr. wants laughs from White House Correspondents' speech — and reparations